When it comes to welcoming a baby, parents, family and friends consider how to ensure that it arrives into the world with everything it will need perfectly prepared. Equipping a home to accommodate a baby is complex and exciting, especially if it is the first child in the family, since it will be necessary to incorporate furniture, care and hygiene products, home textiles, clothing and accessories...
One of the main doubts that arise in this regard is when you should start buying baby things. The correct answer is not strict, since depending on the product it is advisable to take a little more time or wait until the last minute, but we leave you some basic tips so you can plan your purchases.
Basic products that any baby needs
First of all, we are going to review what are the basic products that the baby needs as soon as he is born:
- Equipment. This section would include the essential products for transporting the baby, such as the stroller or car seat.
- Furniture and decoration. One of the most exciting moments is creating a room for the baby, with its crib, hammock, bassinet, closets or dressers... The options depend on the needs of each family and home, the space available and the planned routines. such as, for example, where the baby will sleep.
- Hygiene and care items. This section includes the essential diapers, wet wipes, specific bath gels for babies...
- Food items. You will need bottles, bottle cleaners, bibs, pacifiers...
- Clothes and accessories. Baby clothes should be functional and made of fabrics that are respectful of their delicate skin. Rompers and frogs are perfect for the first months of life, as they make changing diapers easier. The basics also include socks, hats, blankets, towels or muslins. If you know the sex of the baby, you can take the opportunity to buy baby boy or girl clothes.
Planning: when to prepare baby things
Once we have reviewed what to buy, let's see when to start buying things for the baby. The ideal is to plan purchases appropriately to have room to compare products and prices. Ideally, start planning about two or even three months in advance so you can study the market in detail and make informed decisions. Have everything ready at least three weeks before the baby arrives: you never know if it will come early, so it's worth preventing.
Equipment will be one of the aspects that will require more planning: compare strollers and check that they are adaptable and fit your needs. Prices can vary greatly, so good planning will allow you to benefit from offers. Do the same with other products, such as the car seat.
The furniture will also require a detailed study: define the spaces that the baby and his things will occupy, and visualize the routines that you will have to carry out with him, such as bathing, to determine what things to buy for the baby.
Clothing, accessories and hygiene and care products are products that you can buy at the last minute, as they require less planning.
Issues you should keep in mind about when to buy baby things
In addition to planning, coordination will be essential. Keep in mind that many people, whether family members, friends or co-workers, often give gifts to newborns, so when planning purchases, you should take this into account. You will avoid having duplicate products or, for example, too many clothes for a certain stage, if you make baby lists in stores or simply share your needs with those close to you.
What size to buy for a baby
As their arrival approaches you will have an idea of what their initial size will be, but keep in mind that babies grow quickly and clothes and diapers will only last for a short period of time. Plan with this in mind, both on your shopping list and for gifts.
Take into account the seasons
In this sense, it is essential to also take the seasons into account: make calculations of what the weather will be in each period if you are going to buy clothes that will be used later.
With all this, you have some general ideas to know when to start buying things for the baby. Above all, take your time to learn and compare, especially if it is your first baby, consult with people around you who are at this stage and, above all, enjoy the excitement and excitement of welcoming them!